Strange how small town rumors spread...a mania has hit Boone. Gotta get gas because (insert your favorite rumor here) :
1. There is no more gas in town.
2. Gas prices will hit over $4 USD tomorrow
3. My husband/wife/teacher/editor said to fill my tank cause there is a run on gas.
4. "I've heard, through the grapevine, that truckers are being rationed on the highways."
5. "It is a conspiracy by the gas companies...they are in it just to make a profit."
6. The government is diverting gas from our area to the hurricane relief areas.
I've heard every single one of these explanations for the longs lines at gas stations in town today. Never-the-less, we filled out tanks today, like everone else...just in case...Gas in Boone: $3.00/gal
what's it like near you?
Still waiting to hear from our friend in Mandeville. I know he is o.k. because I know him. He is the ultimate survivor.
The four of us sat around the dinner table tonight and discussed how we can immediately help our southern brothers/sisters. We are still in conversation but think we can wing housing some folks...until they can return to their more-or-less normal lives. We discussed throwing money at the situation, but concluded that we preferred serving in a more tangible, proactive way. We have room to house a family of 3. It'll be tight but reckon that it'll be much more comfortable than the Superdome. We are in the midst of working out the details ...
**Update on gas prices**
9/3/05 We have gas in Boone. Sometimes only regular is available and sometimes only Premium.
$3.15 = regular
$3.40 = premium